Here you can see information about the economy in Manchester. Ths includes information on businesses and economic forecasts.
If you are looking for statistics on employment levels, including employment by industry and earnings, go to the employment theme.
- Gross Value Added (GVA) is the value to the economy of goods and services produced in an area. The total GVA for Manchester in 2016 was £17,896 million.
- GVA per head for Manchester (£33,063) is 4.2 percent higher than the previous year and amounts to 125.6 percent of the national rate.
- In 2016 there were 25,780 active businesses in Manchester, a growth of 18.2 percent compared to 6.1 percent nationally.
Accessing economic data
Local level economic data can be accessed from the Intelligence Hub, where you can view and download the data on a map and a chart.
A number of reports have been produced by the council about the Economy. This includes reports on businesses in Manchester, and economic forecasting.
A number of reports are also available relating to employment and earnings in Manchester
- The Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) supports business in Greater Manchester.
- Profiles for Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs) are available from the Office for National Statistics. Manchester is part of the Greater Manchester LEP.
- The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) provides economic data for local areas via its Tabulation Tool and Stat-Xplore tool.