New, renewal and transfer applications
Listed within this page, is information as to where we are up to with the different types of applications. Additional pressure is placed upon the service, which decreases our ability to deal with applications, where:
- Payment is not made on time or the wrong fee has been paid;
- Individuals do not notify the Licensing Unit when they are not attending a DBS application or Document verification appointment;
- Individuals do not sign into the DBS on-line checking service; and
- Proprietors do not notify us when they are not attending vehicle test appointments.
In all cases you will receive an acknowledgment from us (either an online receipt or a letter) to advise you we have received your application, however this does not mean we are dealing with it now. We will contact you once your application is being/has been processed.
We cannot deal with enquiries about pending applications therefore please do not call us.
Have you recently submitted a:
Private hire/hackney carriage drivers - applications received Stage 1 (see steps below): 30 November 2017* ; and
- Private hire vehicles - currently up to date.
*If you have not signed up to the on-line DBS service, then this may delay your application.
Private hire/hackney carriage drivers – currently up to date; and
Private hire/hackney carriage vehicles - licences that expire from 21 May 2018.
If you have not signed up to the on-line DBS service, then this may delay your application. Also all renewal applications must be made and payment received 10 working days prior to the date of expiry of the licence. Your licence is at risk if you do not renew prior to the date of expiry; a new application will need to be submitted if your licence has expired (*except in the case of hackney carriage vehicle proprietor licence). *A new application for a hackney carriage vehicle proprietor licence cannot be submitted – your licence is at risk if you do not renew it before the date of expiry regardless if you are also replacing the vehicle.
Vehicles operating beyond age limit:
Vehicle operating beyond age – currently up to date.
Vehicle transfers - applications received 3 May 2018.
There are 3 steps to applications and until Step 3 is reached applications are not fully processed.
- Step 1 - application added to system, we send you the payment link via the email address provided (except for driver renewals which are paid within the online renewal process);
- Step 2 - application is then on hold until payment is made, we will receive a confirmation email once you have paid in full; and
- Step 3 - your application can now be processed and vehicle/knowledge tests can be arranged as applicable).
- Step 4 - Licence issue (Drivers) - The Council must comply with the ‘Immigration Act 2016’, which means all applicants have to be seen face to face. This has increased the time taken to process licences. Applicants will be invited to a ‘verification appointment’ where there ‘right to work in the UK will be verified.
So that we can continue to deal with applications please only enquire where your driver application is up to, if your application falls outside the dates above.
Only enquire where your driver application is up to, if your application falls outside the dates above.
If you do not receive your vehicle renewal one week prior to the expiry date, please email:- taxi.licensing@
Thank you for your patience.