Nearby archive and local studies services
- Bury Archives
- Bury Central Library
- Oldham Local Studies and Archives
- Salford Local History Library and City Archives
- Stockport Local Heritage Library and Archives
- Tameside Local Studies and Archive Unit
- Trafford Local Studies Centre
- Wigan Archives and Local Studies
Other archives and local studies services
- Lancashire Record Office holds some information for the Manchester area, including pre-1858 wills and Bishop's Transcripts and Catholic church registers, and Boyd's Marriage Index to Lancashire Parishes.
- Cheshire Record Office may be able to help with early material on the southern areas of Manchester previously in Cheshire.
- West Yorkshire Archives Service
- Derbyshire Record Office
- Liverpool Record Office
Other local sites
- Greater Manchester Police Museum includes police records related to the county.
- The John Rylands Library Special Collections houses some of the most significant books and manuscripts ever produced.
- Labour History Archive and Study Centre the only specialist repository for the political wing of the labour movement, it holds records for various working class political organisations.
- Salford Diocesan Archives (Roman Catholic Diocese)
- Working Class Movement Library contains archives and library material on labour history.