The Oxford Road bus gate
There are bus gates on Oxford Road.
This means that parts of the road are only open to buses, black cabs and pedal cycles from 6am to 9pm every day.
By buses we mean motor vehicles built or adapted to carry more than eight people (not including the driver).
If you drive there in any other vehicle during these hours you could be fined up to £90.
- There are gates between Hathersage Road and Nelson Street, near Whitworth Park, and;
- between Burlington Street and Cavendish Street, near the Royal Northern College of Music.
Thre are also sections of road that have bus gates in one direction only.
- Whitworth Street West up to Portland Street. This section only covers traffic heading North, towards the city centre.
- Cavendish Street up to Hulme Street. This section only covers traffic heading South, away from the city centre.
- Devas Street up to Dover Street. This section only covers traffic heading North, towards the city centre.
Bus gates will be marked with standard ‘no motor vehicles’ signs – a red circle with a motorbike above a car inside.