Origins and development
Plans for Brooklands Road were first laid in the 1860s when the owner of the land, Samuel Brooks, decided to establish an avenue of stately mansions leading to the newly-constructed railway station on 'Marslands Bridge.' Plans dating from 1876 onwards show the pattern of development, which was not complete until well into the twentieth century.
On either side of the road, rectangular plots of land were marked off for the construction of substantial houses, the plots varying from 6,000 to 10,000 square yards in size. Generally speaking, plots became smaller around the turn of the century.
It is clear that the early phase of building established the character of the area and greatly influenced later developments. In the 20th century, the size of both plots and buildings became smaller, but the established pattern of houses set back a similar distance from either side of the road, in rectangular plots of land with the short sides facing the road, remained the dominant feature of the area.
The prevailing or former uses within the area
This area was first set out for residential purposes in the 1860s, with substantial family houses set out in plots on both sides of the road. One property, Normanhurst, has been used as a school and for offices, but is currently used as a hotel. The remaining sites are occupied by residential buildings for single family occupation or for apartments.