Architectural and historic qualities of buildings
Surprisingly, in an area of fine individual and often historic properties, only two buildings are formally listed as for their architectural or historic interest: Lloyd's Hotel on the junction of Wilbraham Road and Manchester Road and St Clements Church on Edge Lane.
Built in the typical Manchester red/orange brick with buff coloured sandstone dressings Lloyd's Hotel is a high two-storey building with a third storey contained within the steeply pitched roof that is covered in blue/black welsh slate. Brick and sandstone corbels form the brackets to the eaves and are emphasised by a course of blue brick at the lower level with the wall junction.
Vertical sliding sash windows are evident in all window openings. A single storey bay window on the Manchester Road elevation is linked by a horizontal stone balcony to an adjacent doorway. A brick faced dormer window breaks up the roofline to this elevation.
At the corner of the building a double height curved bay is surmounted by a conical roof, providing an architectural statement at the Wilbraham Road/Manchester Road junction. A double height splayed bay window, with its own roof, characterises the Wilbraham Road elevation.
The building would have had an increased presence in the area by virtue of its tall chimneys, but these structures have been reduced in height and capped.
The bowling club building, located at the rear of the hotel, effectively at right angles to Manchester Road, is also two storeys high, the upper storey projecting beyond the ground floor and supported off four cast iron columns.
The ground floor elevation is a screen wall of glass and timber. An adjacent single storey building, rising from back of pavement on Manchester Road, also in red/orange brick, is covered with a hipped roof with patterned slates.
Clearly built at a time when the adjacent area was being expanded, the hotel and associated bowling club with clubhouse provided recreational facilities for the local residents, helping to fulfil a social role. It was listed grade II in 2005.
The stone built St Clements Church was constructed between 1861 and 1866 to the designs of Pennington and Bridgen, following the poor condition of the old church which was located near Chorlton Green close to the Bowling Green Hotel. The south transept and chapel are by Higginbottom and constructed in 1895. The building was listed grade II in June 1988.