Contribution of key unlisted buildings
Many of the buildings that line the streets within the area are architecturally impressive and most of them can be regarded as making a positive contribution to the conservation area.
It is the relationship of these various buildings to each other, to their sites and to the streets that mostly determine the character of the area, rather than individual buildings of high architectural or historic quality. The fact that only two buildings in the area are formally listed bears out that fact.
There are four places of worship that contribute to the character of an essentially residential area: the previously mentioned St Clement's Parish Church on Edge Lane, Wilbraham road Unitarian Church, Our Lady and St John Roman Catholic Church and Chorlton Methodist Church.
Wilbraham Road Unitarian Church, located between numbers 548 and 550 is set behind a 1990s residential development. The place of worship appears to be the rear remains of a larger building on the site. It opened in 1901, although it was founded in 1890, and built in Accrington brick.
Our Lady and St John RC Church is located on the St. Clements Road/High Lane junction, on the east side of St. Clements Road and directly opposite St Clements Church. The two buildings have a major urban and architectural presence in the wider area. The red brick and yellow terracotta church was opened in 1927. It has Decorated (14th century) and Perpendicular (15th century) window tracery, does not have a tower, but has an aisleless wide interior. The pews and fittings are reputed to be from St Andrews church in Ramsbottom.
Chorlton Methodist Church on Manchester Road opened in 1873, but needed to be restored following a fire in 1883. A church hall and Sunday school was also added at the rear of the site. The buff coloured sandstone building, with a steeply pitched roof covered in Welsh blue/black slate, was designed by H.J. Paull. It has geometrical tracery to a large east window facing the road and a south-east turret, also close to the road.
The Conservative Club on Wilbraham Road was built in 1892 and its basement in particular seems to have been used for a variety of uses, such as a skittle alley (1897) a rifle range (1904), and a bike park (1900).
The Lauriston Club (former Liberal Club, prior to 1962) at 12 Manchester Road, The Hellenic Centre at 562 Wilbraham Road and the South Manchester Freemasons Hall at 12 Edge Lane all provide facilities for local residents.
Chorlton C of E Primary School located alongside St Clements Church is accessed from Vicars Road. It was built in 1901 and extended upwards in 1970.
William Hulme Grammar School, Day Nursery and Early Years Centre at 643/5 Wilbraham Road are located in a pair of converted semi-detached houses.
The Spread Eagle hotel, on the northern side of the junction of Wilbraham Road and Oswald Road, is in a 1980s conversion of two large semi-detached houses and in a visually prominent location.