This collection was gathered in China by Thomas Bellot, a naval surgeon and orientalist, in the 1840s. It was left to our city after his death and donated to our libraries in 1857.
The collection is made up of 58 printed books and 4 boxes of manuscript material including rare dictionaries and acupuncture charts. It contains:
- important examples of early Chinese calligraphy
- exquisitely illustrated embroidery pattern books (some in full colour)
- Sutras and books of Buddhist and Christian devotion
- eighteenth century acupuncture charts
- miscellaneous items e.g. games, wall posters and proclamations of Sir Henry Pottinger first governor of Hong Kong.
No items are in English.
How to access
Bellot's collection of Chinese bronzes and other objets d'art are housed at Manchester Museum.
Online services this weekend
There may be some disruption to our online benefits systems this weekend. Please keep trying. Sorry for any inconvenience.×