This workhouse infirmary was opened in c.1780 by Barton-upon-Irwell's Board of Guardians. New workhouse buildings were opened in 1853, with extensions to both buildings in the 1890s.
The Hospital was transferred to Lancashire County Council in 1930 and came under the administration of West Manchester Health Management Committee between 1948 and 1974.
In 1974 it came within the area of Trafford Area Health Authority and became chiefly a psychiatric and geriatric hospital. Its address was Green Lane, Patricroft, Eccles, Manchester. The Hospital was closed on 25 February 1992. Other names by which the Hospital was known are: Green Lane Institution, Green Lane Hospital.
We hold records for 1930 to 1988, including these patient records (restricted access):
- admission register 1948 to 1954, 1968 to 1975
- death register 1961 to 1975
- creed registers c.1930 to 1957
- alphabetical register 1948 to 1960
- female mental admissions 1948 to 1960
- informal patients register 1959 to 1962
- patients index 1959 to 1971
How to access
Resources are available in the search room, please make an appointment.
Location of the site