The Manchester Union workhouse was originally situated in New Bridge Street (built 1792). When the building proved inadequate for its purpose a new workhouse was built in Crumpsall in 1855 on a site adjacent to the Prestwich Union Workhouse just north of Crescent Road.
The aged and infirm remained at New Bridge Street until 1875 when an infirmary was opened with the workhouse at Crumpsall. The head offices and a small residential unit remained at New Bridge Street. Destitute people would apply for relief there before they were sent to either the infirmary or the workhouse.
We hold creed registers for New Bridge Street Workhouse, 1881 to 1911 on microfilm (1881-1899, MFPR 1999, MF 3009, MF 3042-3043 or use findmypast), 1912-1914 (ref GB127.M4/11/17-31).
How to access
Records on microfilm (marked MF) are available on the ground floor at Central Library, no appointment needed.
Resources marked with GB are available to view in the search room, please make an appointment.
Free access to findmypast is available at any of our libraries.
Location of the site