The first Greeks settled here in the 1830s and by 1843 had formed their own committee and church. From 1849 to 1860 an East Orthodox Church existed on Waterloo Road in Strangeways. In 1860 to 1861 a new Greek Orthodox church was built and opened on Bury Old Road in Higher Broughton. This is the oldest purpose built Orthodox church in Britain and still exists today. In the 1950s to 1970s a substantial amount of Greek Cypriots arrived in the city.
The manuscript J. Scholes, 'Lists of Foreign Merchants in Manchester, 1784-1870' (MF 1286) is useful for tracing the history of the early Greek merchants in Manchester.
The book 'A Personal History of the Greek Community of Manchester and its Church' (2000) by Sophocles Chr. Andreades (281.942733 An), traces the story of Greeks in Manchester back to 1843. In addition, there is an article by Eric Glasgow, 'The Greeks in Manchester' (f301.451893 GL1).
How to access
Records on microfilm (marked MF) are available on the ground floor at Central Library, no appointment needed.
Library members can find and reserve the other resources mentioned by following the links to our library catalogue.
See photos and more of our albums on Flickr.