There has been a Welsh community here since the 16th century.
The following is a good introduction:
- Ionawryn Williams, 'Byr Hanes Cymry Manceinion' (1896), 942.733004 WIL (972). We also hold a translation of this book by Margaret Hughes, q942.733004 WIL (975).
- 'Manchester Welsh Presbytery, Past and Present' by Anne Hunt and Lilian Bury (2002), 262.98524 HUN (606)
- Some notes on the Welsh in Manchester in the 16th century Manchester City News, f 942.7 M10, 1900-1902, p.110).
- Local Studies newspaper cuttings collection (GB127.Local Studies Newspaper Cuttings/Box 541)
- a transcript by William Owen of the Life Story of Robert Roberts of Mynydd y Gof, Bodedern, Anglesey (1905). Volumes 4 to 8 deals with his life in Manchester from the mid 19th century (ref GB127.M803)
- a photocopy of an article by Margaret Hughes from "Country Quest" on William Owen, Manchester Welsh author (Sep 2008), q891.66328 OWE (967).
We also have church records:
- Moss Side Welsh Calvinistic Church: Jubilee publication regarding the Moss Side Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church 1875-1925 (1925), 285.235 WEL (029), with an English translation by Margaret Hughes, q285.235 WEL (030). Annual report of the Moss Side Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Church, 1954, 1957, 1959-1965, 285.235 WEL (032)
- Chorlton on Medlock, St. David's Welsh Church (Anglican): Baptisms 1889-1954, on microfilm (MFPR 1310).
- Collyhurst Wesleyan Chapel, later Welsh Wesleyans, Teignmouth St., Collyhurst: Deeds 1817-1905 (ref GB127.M229/4/1)
- Pendleton, St David's Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Church, Langworthy Road: Marriages 1913-1960 (ref GB127.M275/820)
How to access
Materials marked with GB are available in the search room at Central Library, please make an appointment.
Records on microfilm (marked MFPR) are available on the ground floor at Central Library, no appointment needed.
Library members can find and reserve the other resources mentioned by following the links to our library catalogue.
Online services unavailable
Due to maintenance, some council tax, benefits and business rates pages will be unavailable on Saturday 24 September.×