This privacy notice explains what personal information is collected, what it is used for and who it is provided to. The notice also describes why the Council requires your data, and the legal basis on which it does this. This privacy notice relates to the Council’s Policy, Partnerships and Research service. It provides additional information that specifically relates to this particular service, and should be read together with our general privacy notice, which provides more detail on the questions below.
What personal information does this service use?
We may hold and use some basic personal information about you, such as your name, address, date of birth, and financial details.
This service may also hold and use some special category personal information about you, for example your race or ethnic origin.
This service groups together the personal information we hold in different ways to create what is known as ‘data sets’. We have a wide range of data sets for the projects we are involved in.
What is your personal information used for?
Dependant on the data set where your information is held, the Council may use your personal data for one or more of the following reasons:
- to contact you or your organisation, which has received grant funding by Manchester City Council and other Greater Manchester bodies (such as the Greater Manchester Combined Authority or Association of Greater Manchester Authorities);
- to monitor and assess the impact and reach of the programmes and projects we are involved in. These include local projects as well as national projects organised by central government.. In order to manage and monitor these programmes, we need to use some personal information – for example to pick/match candidates to be part of a programme, and track what impact the programme is having;
- to provide grant funding to companies and organisations. Grant funding may come via local grants, a national fund from central government, or even European grant funding. We apply
- for this funding and then divide this among organisations locally - such as the Regional Growth Fund. In order to get funding from central government, we may be required to report statistics back to them. To do this we may need personal information, such as payroll information, to monitor whether a particular grant is providing the expected benefits to that area – such as creating jobs;
- to stay in contact with, and send updates to, you and our other partner organisations during projects and programmes, through mailing lists and contact databases;
- to liaise with all Manchester organisations about the annual Cultural Impact Survey;
- for audit purposes we sometimes need to archive information we hold about national and European grant programmes after they close.
What is the lawful basis we are relying on?
We collect and use personal information only where it is appropriate and necessary to do so. We need to use personal information where we are required to do so under the terms and conditions of a contract/grant funding agreement ((Art 6(1)(b) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation ‘UK GDPR’), where we are required to do so by law ((Art 6(1)(c)) of the UK GDPR), or where it is necessary to perform our public tasks as a Local Authority ((Art 6(1)(e) of the UK GDPR). There may be some occasions where we rely on your consent (Art 6(1)(a) of the UK GDPR for example to be part of our mailing list of partner organisations to receive updates etc.
If our datasets contain any special category personal information, we only use this where it is necessary to carry out a public task in the substantial public interest that relates to the Council’s statutory functions (Art 9(2)(g) of the UK GDPR), and for archiving, research or statistical purposes (Art 9(2)(j) of the UK GDPR).
Where has your personal information come from?
Most of the personal information we use will have been provided by you when you use our services. We may also receive some information about you from third parties such as Government Departments such as the Department for Work and Pensions or the Police.
Who will we share your personal information with?
Dependant on the data set where your information is held, your personal data may be shared securely with the following organisations where it is both necessary and appropriate to do so.
We share your personal data with the following organisations:
- other Manchester City Council departments, such as finance
- central government departments, such as the Ministry of Housing Communities and Local Government
- funding bodies, including some European Funding bodies. This means that sometimes we may need to share personal information outside of the UK to partner organisations in Europe.
- Greater Manchester Combined Authority / AGMA
- Transport for Greater Manchester
- with your consent, partner organisations in our mailing list/contact database.
How long will we keep your information?
Our retention schedule sets out how long we keep personal information for.
Your personal information and your rights
You can find out more about your rights regarding the personal information used for this service. Your rights apply to the information held by the Council as a data controller, and the information we hold on behalf of the other data controllers.
Contacting us about your data and updates