This privacy notice explains what personal information is collected, what it is used for and who it is provided to. The notice also describes why we require your data, and the legal basis on which we do this. This privacy notice relates to the Council’s Councillors, Co-opted members, Independent Persons and members of Independent Remuneration Panels. It should be read together with our general privacy notice, which provides more detail.
What personal information does this service use?
Information is processed by Manchester City Council for any purpose relating to your role as a councillor or co-opted member of a Council Committee, as an Independent Person or as a member of the Council’s Independent Remuneration Panel.
Depending on your role, this information may include:
- your image and audio visual recordings made at Council meetings (Councillors and Co-opted Members)
- name address and date of birth (if supplied)
- contact details
- register of interests, gifts and hospitality register (Councillors and voting co-opted members)
- your election record including any political group to which you belong (if you are a Councillor)
- your attendance at meetings
- your voting on decisions at meetings
- any decisions you make in an individual capacity
- the allowances and expenses you receive
- the training you receive
- any complaints about your conduct in relation to the Code of Conduct for Members (if you are covered by the Code).
Some of this information has to be published by law or is information the Council makes available for inspection by the public.
What is your personal information used for?
The Council uses your personal data, including any health and financial information, for the purposes of administering your role as a member of the Councillor, a co-opted member of a committee, or because you are an Independent Person or member of the Council’s Independent Remuneration Panel.
What is the lawful basis we are relying on?
We collect and use this information because it is necessary to perform our public tasks (Art 6(1)(e) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR). Where special category data (such as health information) is held this is held for processing in the substantial public interest (including public administration and equality of opportunity and treatment) (Art 9(2)(a) UK GDPR))
Who will we share your personal information with?
The Council will share your information where it is under an obligation to do so, in order to protect public funds or if necessary for legal claims or law enforcement purposes or where you have given your consent.
How long will we keep your information?
Our retention schedule sets out how long we keep personal information for.
Your personal information and your rights
You have a number of legal rights in relation to your personal information. These apply regardless of your status with the Council. Find out more about your rights regarding the personal information used for this service.
Contacting us about your data and updates