This privacy notice relates to the School Admission Appeals and School Exclusion Reviews. It provides additional information that specifically relates to this particular service, and should be read together with our general privacy notice, which provides more detail.
The data controller for the information provided to the Independent Education Appeals Service for Manchester is the admission authority of the school that you are appealing for admission to, or seeking a review of the Governing Body’s decision to permanently exclude a child. Where the City Council is the admission authority then the Council is also the data controller. For an Academy, a Free School, a Voluntary Aided School, and a Foundation School then the school is the admission authority so it is the Data Controller. The Council, as the provider of the independent appeal service to the school, shall act as school’s Data Processor.
What personal information does this service use?
The information held is the information you have provided in relation to your appeal or review including your details, your child’s details and that of your family, together with reasons in support of your appeal (including where applicable health information, religious information, social care information). The information will also include any details provided by a school about your child that has been provided in response to your appeal or review.
What is your personal information used for?
We use your personal data to:
- arrange and decide your requested appeal or review in accordance with the School Admissions Appeal Code and the statutory guidance on the exclusion from maintained schools, academies and pupil referral units in England (public task purposes)
- to update our education and appeal processes data bases
- to assist in the development of policy proposals for law enforcement purposes and for legal claims purposes
- to follow up safeguarding concerns for research and statistical purposes (where your information will be anonymised).
What is the lawful basis we are relying on?
We collect and use this information to perform our public tasks (Art 6(1)(e) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (‘UK GDPR’)) and performing or exercising general legal obligations we must meet (Art 6(1)(c) of the UK GDPR). Where special category data (such as health information) is held this is held for processing in the substantial public interest (including public administration and equality of opportunity and treatment) (Art 9(2)(g) of the UK GDPR))
Where has your personal information come from?
The information comes from details you have provided in relation to your appeal or review, including your details, your child’s details and that of your family together with reasons in support of your appeal (including where applicable health information, religious information, social care information).
The information will also include any information provided by a school about your child that has been provided in response to your appeal or review.
Who will we share your personal information with?
Your personal data is shared securely with the following organisations where it is both necessary and appropriate to do so:
- the Admissions Authority (normally the Children's Services Department of the Council)
- the school you have requested, or that the review relates to. If, in the information you provide, you refer to another school or describe the actions of another school then we might need to share the data with that school.
- the people who are to make up the Panel that will hear your appeal or review.
- if you subsequently complain to the Ombudsman or the Agency about your appeal or review, we might also have to share the information with the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman and the Education Funding Agency.
How long will we keep your information?
Find out more about how long we hold your personal information as a data controller.
As a data processor, we will hold your personal data on behalf of the data controllers for as long as we are required to, or for as long as they ask us to. You should contact the school for more information.
Your personal information and your rights
You can find out more about your rights regarding the personal information used for this service. Your rights apply to the information held by the Council as a data controller, and the information we hold on behalf of the other data controllers.
Contacting us about your data and updates