Online accounts

We're carrying out essential maintenance over the weekend and you may not be able to log in to your account. We apologise for any inconvenience.


Independent Living

  1. Summary

    This privacy notice explains what personal information is collected, what it is used for and who it is provided to. The notice also describes why the Council requires your data, and the legal basis on which it does this. This privacy notice relates to the Council’s - Manchester Service for Independent Living. It provides additional information that specifically relates to this particular service, and should be read together with our general privacy notice, which provides more detail.

  2. What personal information does this service use?

    Whenever you get in touch with us either in person, by phone or online, we’ll usually need your basic contact details: name, address, telephone number, email address etc, together with enough information about your enquiry to be able to help you quickly and effectively.

    If you receive or have received social care and support from Manchester City Council, we will hold a social care record about you. This is stored on an electronic database and we may also hold some based paper based information about you.

    Your record will contain:

    • basic details about you such as your name, address and date of birth
    • the names and contact details of your close relatives and carers
    • information about your health, your ability to carry out day-to-day tasks, and your home situation
    • letters, notes and reports about the support we provide for you and about the help you need
    • plans for providing support, and details of support you receive
    • things that other organisations (such as health or other care services) tell us about your situation to help us to better understand your needs.
    • the names of your family members, carers, and information about any support services or professionals who have worked or are working with you.

    Some of the information we hold in your social care record will be more sensitive personal details about you, such as your race or ethnic origin, sex and sexual orientation, religious beliefs, your physical and mental health etc (known as Special Categories of Personal Data).

    It is important for us to know this information, for example, if you have a disability or language issue, as this may influence the way our services need to be delivered to meet your needs. We also use this information for equalities monitoring purposes, so we can be sure that we’re reaching and responding to all sectors of the community, inclusive of ethnicity, age and disability.

  3. What is your personal information used for?

    The Council uses your personal data for the following reasons:

    • to carry out our legal duties to:
      • assess you or a family member’s needs and identify appropriate services or support
      • provide our social care services to you or a family member; for example in order to plan and provide care for you or a family member.
      • monitor the quality of the services we provide to you or a family member and check how our services are performing overall; for example by carrying out quality checks or requesting your feedback
      • to carry out financial assessments, for example under the Care Act 2014
      • to process grant applications
      • to log and respond to any complaints you make about our services
      • arrange deliveries and collections of community equipment and minor adaptations.
    • In order to improve our service delivery, we may use personal information to create statistics which help us to see how our services are being used and how they should be funded.

  4. What is the lawful basis we are relying on?

    We will only use your personal data where it is necessary in order to perform our public tasks and duties as a Local Authority (Art 6(1)(e) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (‘UK GDPR’)), and to meet our statutory obligation under the Care Act 2014. 

    In some cases, we may be required to share your information by law (Art 6(1)(c) of the UK GDPR) or where it is necessary to protect someone in an emergency (Art 6(1)(d) of the UK GDPR).

    We will only use any special category personal data we hold where it is necessary and because there is a substantial public interest (such as to carry out a legal duty, for the prevention of crime) (Art 9(2)(g) of the UK GDPR), and where it is necessary to deliver social care services (Art 9(2)(h) of the UK GDPR).

    We may also need to use special category data:

    • where it is necessary to protect someone in an emergency (Art 9(2)(c) of the UK GDPR)
    • where it is necessary for legal cases (Art 9(2)(f) of the UK GDPR)
    • where it is necessary for employment purposes (Art 9(2)(b of the UK GDPR))
    • where it is necessary for archiving, research or statistical purposes (Art 9(2)(j) of the UK GDPR).

  5. Where has the personal information come from?

    Some of the personal information we may hold will come directly from you, or your advocate when you contact us or use our services.

    In order to provide our services, or to comply with legal obligations, we may request and receive information from other organisations and services, for example:

    • other departments within the Council
    • other local authorities where you or your family have previously lived, who may hold personal information about you
    • information from your GP or NHS about your medical history and/or requirements
    • information from a school or education provider
    • information from the police, rehabilitation services or youth offending services.

    If you are receiving support from adult social care then the NHS may share your NHS number with us.  This is so that the NHS and ourselves are using the same number to identify you whilst providing your care.  By using the same number the NHS and ourselves can work together more closely to improve your care and support.

    We will use this Number in an integrated care record system known as the Greater Manchester Care Record across a number of support services including GP’s, hospitals, community services, district nurses and social care practitioners. 

    If you wish to object to the use of your NHS Number for social care purposes or the sharing of your personal data as part of the Greater Manchester Care Record then please contact your social worker.

    Find out more about the Greater Manchester Care Record 

  6. Who will we share your personal information with?

    Your personal data may be shared securely to other departments within the Council, only where it is both necessary and appropriate to do so for the reasons given above.

    In order to provide our services to you, we will need to securely share your personal to other organisations outside the Council. For example, we may share your data with:

    • commissioned delivery partners who are delivering a service on our behalf. This may include private contractors who deliver and maintain any adaptations you may receive
    • NHS Bodies and Health Agencies
    • Police
    • schools and other education providers
    • Government agencies
    • housing agencies
    • third sector/voluntary agencies.

    In most situations, other people must have your permission before we can give them information about you. For example, members of your family, the Department of Works and Pensions, the Child Support Agency, the Inland Revenue or Council Tax Officers.

    But there are some circumstances when we are obliged to share information without your permission, for example:

    • to protect you or another person in an emergency (for example with the police, NHS or with Immigration/Border Control)
    • for the administration of justice (such as providing information to Court)
    • to meet other legal obligations, such as 
      • where we are required to share safeguarding information by law to other agencies and other Councils
      • where we are required to provide information to an auditor or standards body such as Care Quality Commission (CQC), or as part of any formal inquiry or investigation.

  7. How long will we keep your information?

    Our retention schedule sets out how long we keep personal information for.

  8. Your personal information and your rights

    You can find out more about your rights regarding the personal information used for this service. Your rights apply to the information held by the Council as a data controller, and the information we hold on behalf of the other data controllers.

  9. Contacting us about your data and updates

    If you have any questions or concerns about how we use your personal information, please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.

    You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you're unhappy about how we process your information.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.