This privacy notice explains what personal information is collected, what it is used for and who it is provided to. The notice also describes why the Council requires your data, and the legal basis on which it does this. This privacy notice relates to the Council’s Highways Service. It provides additional information that specifically relates to this particular service, and should be read together with our general privacy notice.
What personal information does this service use?
We use personal information about you, such as your name, home address, e-mail address and telephone number.
What is your personal information used for?
We use your personal data for the following reasons:
- To meet all of our statutory and legal functions under the Highways Act 1980.
- To inform you of any updates/outcomes to your enquiry via email, telephone or via our Customer Services Hub.
- To understand your needs in order to provide the services you require under Highways Operations and Network Management Activities.
- To investigate and rectify any highways defects.
- To carry out emergency works.
- To deliver services to support you.
- To train and manage employment of our workforce who deliver our services.
- To recover costs due to damage to the highway asset.
- To consult with you on major highway schemes.
- To improve our services and levels of customer service.
What is the lawful basis we are relying on?
We will only use your personal data where it is necessary in order to perform our public tasks and duties as a Local Authority (Art 6(1)(e) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation.
Where has the personal information come from?
In most cases the personal information we hold about you will come directly from you. This in most part will be via an enquiry that you have logged with us or in response to a consultation/survey or something similar. We also receive your personal information from third parties such as letters from Members of Parliament or Councillors where you have asked an elected representative to act on your behalf, or from an organisation.
Who will we share your personal information with?
We only share your personal information where it is both necessary and appropriate to do so. We may share your personal information with:
- Members of Parliament.
- Ward Members (Councillors).
- Internally with colleagues from other Manchester City Council Departments.
- Other Local Authorities if there is a shared interest in your enquiry.
- Greater Manchester Police
- Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service.
- Manchester City Council software providers will also store your personal information. However, such providers will only access your personal information for a specific reason at the instruction of the Council and they must keep it secure in the same way that the Council does.
How long will we keep your information?
Our retention schedule sets out how long we keep personal information for, listed by service.
Your personal information and your rights
You can find out more about your rights regarding the personal information used for this service. Your rights apply to the information held by the Council as a data controller.
Contacting us about your data and updates
We may change this privacy notice from time to time. Tell us if you want to know when we change this notice, or any related documents.
If you have any questions or concerns about how we use your personal information, please contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer. You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you're unhappy about how we process your information.