House in multiple occupation - apply for a temporary exemption

  1. Summary

    A landlord must have a licence for a privately-rented house in multiple occupation (HMO) if it meets the following criteria:

    • occupied by five or more people;
    • those people form two or more households; or
    • tenants share some amenities like kitchen, bathroom or laundry.

    You may be eligible to apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN) if you’re taking steps to take the property out of licensing. For example, you’re selling the property to someone who will live in it as an owner occupier.

    To apply for a second notice, you will need to complete the form again. We will only consider extending the notice if you have exceptional circumstances.

  2. Fees


  3. Application and guidance notes

    Policy, standards and conditions

    Apply for a temporary exemption

  4. Processing and timescales

    28 working days. Tacit Consent will not apply due to public safety.

  5. Legislation

    You must be a fit and proper person to hold the licence. A summary of the regulation relating to this licence can be found here:

  6. Validity and renewals

    3 months only.

  7. Register

    View register

  8. Complaints

    Contact us in the first instance

  9. Contact us

  10. Eugo Logo

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.