Request a street/road closure for your event

  1. Summary

    There are different types of events:

    • large public events that are professionally organised - you need a Temporary Events Notice to sell food, drink including alcohol and provide entertainment.
    • street parties and fêtes - organised for residents and neighbours, you do not need a licence if the music is incidental and the food and drink is provided by the residents and not being sold, however if you wish to close the road you will need permission from us, and
    • organising an event which includes moving people along the highway from an agreed start point to a finish point you need permission from us.  This includes: demonstrations, charity events, celebrations, processions and marches.

    Street parties and fetes

    Public Liability Insurance and Risk Assessment are not required, however you should think about how to safely manage your event and reduce any risks, like putting an adult in charge of the bbq or making plans for bad weather.

    We'd also encourage you to reduce the amount of rubbish as much as you can. Think about using reusable plates, cutlery and cups - ask people to bring their own or hire them. But if you can't avoid disposables, stay away from single-use plastics and opt for recycled paper plates and FSC wooden cutlery.

    If tombola or raffle tickets are sold on the day and the prizes are not more than £500 a licence is not required. Proceeds must go to a charity or to cover the cost of the party. Alternatively, if you want to raise some money for your local church or charity, you can always ask people for donations.

    You will need to clean up after your street party, let people know in advance what time the party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling.

    When organising an event, you must consider the following:

    • Will traffic need to be diverted/stopped to facilitate your event?
    • Have you prepared a Traffic Management Plan (how will participants be protected from live traffic and other potential dangers for the duration of the event)?
    • Will this event affect public transport and have you contacted the relevant services (buses, metrolink, trains)?
    • How many people will be taking part including those with mobility issues, children?
    • Have you spoken to local residents and businesses to gauge public opinion?
    • Have you discussed the event with the Police?
    • If you need the Police to provide traffic management (road closures/stopping traffic), do you have sufficient funding in place?
    • Have you discussed the required insurances with the relevant bodies, such as Public Liability Insurance?

    When a street/road can not be closed

    You cannot close a road if it is a main commuter route; already being used as a diversion route; or would prohibit access to businesses, emergency services stations or depots or prohibit access to other roads. 

  2. Fees

    • Charitable Events / Street Parties: £135
    • Commercial Street Parties / Filming: £541
    • Large Commercial Events lasting one day: £2,638.35
    • Large Commercial Events lasting for more than one day: £3,653   (additional road closures for the same event: £64 each)

  3. Application and guidance notes

  4. Attachments required

    • Traffic management plan; and
    • If the road you are closing is part of a bus or metrolink route, you will need to consult with the company and upload a copy of their response.

  5. Processing and timescales

    You should submit applications approx. 8 weeks before the event, we will assess and contact you to discuss further

  6. Complaints

    Contact Highways in the first instance

  7. Contact us

  8. Eugo Logo

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.