- You must not store at or bring onto the market anything of a special combustible, inflammable, or explosive nature. The sale of explosive or highly flammable materials is prohibited.
- LGP (Liquid Petroleum Gas) and helium gas can only be used following our express written permission. At New Smithfield Wholesale Market, the storage of gas and diesel may be permitted but only with our express written permission. Only one barrel of diesel may be stored per trading or storage space, and you must install a secondary container, such as a bund, around your barrel to catch any oil that leaks. Gas bottles can only be stored in a designated storage cage and not within your trading or storage space. LPG powered FLTs should only be garaged in well-ventilated spaces that are free from flammable material, particularly when parking overnight or for longer periods. To apply for permission, see section 7 below.
- The sale of gas appliances is only allowed where expressly permitted in your occupancy agreement, following proof of compliance with all relevant legislation including Gas Safe regulations. Do not make any gas installations to your allocated space without written permission from us. To apply for permission, see section 7 below. Where permitted, work must be undertaken by a Gas Safe registered engineer qualified in commercial appliances. Gas equipment must be safe, meet relevant legislation and appropriately maintained and serviced. Gas certificates must be provided upon request.
- Fires must not be lit in any part of the market.
- Do not use any heating or fuel burning apparatus or anything with a naked flame unless we have given our express permission. To apply for permission, see section 7 below.
- Generators are restricted to the super silenced type and can only be used with our permission. To apply for permission, see section 7 below. Where permitted, generators must be regularly serviced, caged, and positioned within your allocated space without causing obstruction or hazard.
- To apply for permission submit an online permission for works form. Where written permission is granted, you must comply with:
- the requirements and recommendations of the fire authority, and
- the regulations made by any duly constituted authority, or in any insurance policy, and
- the requirements of the Council regarding
- the storage or bringing onto the market of anything of a combustible, inflammable, or explosive nature,
- the use of any heating or fuel burning apparatus
Go back to the Manchester Markets Service Standard index page.