Online Forms

Some forms may be unavailable 8:30am to 9:30am Tuesday 7 February. This is due to essential work to the website.


People and communities Support for Ukraine

Information and support for Ukrainian families

Manchester City Council recognises the difficult situation many families find themselves in, and therefore we have compiled this information to help both those who have kindly offered their homes and for the people and families arriving. 


All 3 to 4-year-olds in England can get 570 free hours of childcare per year. It’s usually taken as 15 hours a week for 38 weeks of the year. If you have a 2-year-old you may be able to get free childcare for them too. 

Childcare is a great fun way for your kids to learn, play and make new friends. There are many different types of childcares in Manchester, including nurseries, pre-schools, childminders and out-of-school clubs. 

View childcare and children's services in the area 

Find out more about childcare could offer you and your family 


Children between 5 years old and 16 years old must have access to education. 

There are numerous ways you can search for potential schools

  • You can research providers for schools that you are interested in via their websites 
  • Or search for schools in your area via our schools finder page 
  • You can look at the map of the area with the schools and find the ones closest to you 

Once you have found a school you like, you will need to apply. This can be done at any time of the year and is called an in-year admission. Read starting school later to learn more 

Adult college 

Manchester Adult Education supply courses to anyone over the age of 18 on a variety of subjects. These subjects include 

So, it's never too late to pick up a skill and learn something new. 

Finances and benefits  

Universal Credit 

You can access Universal Credit as soon as you arrive in the UK. Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with living and housing costs. 

For details, visit: 

Current government guidance states that any benefits entitlements remain unchanged if you take in a Ukrainian person or people. 

If you receive a single person's discount on your council tax, this remains unchanged if you take in a Ukrainian person or people as well. 

If you have questions about how Universal Credit works, you can call: 

  • 0800 328 5644 to speak to Universal Credit Full Service 
  • 0800 144 8 444 to speak to Citizens Advice Help to Claim 

Other benefits 

You are also eligible for: 

  • Housing Benefit 
  • Pension Credit 
  • Personal Independence Payment 
  • Child Disability Living Allowance 
  • Carers Allowance 
  • Attendance Allowance 

Those who meet the criteria are eligible for the contributions-based Employment and Support Allowance and Jobseekers Allowance. 

Visit GOV.UK to find out more and apply. 

Setting up a bank account 

To receive Universal Credit and other benefits, you will need to open a bank account. 

You can do this by visiting any bank. You will need to have documents that show your identity, immigration status and address. 


Registering with a GP 

Ukrainian nationals can receive emergency treatment from a GP surgery for 14 days. After that, you will need to register with a GP on the NHS website.

Once registered your GP can help with getting prescriptions, maternity care/midwifery services and offering medical advice or treatments. 

Getting a prescription 

You should then take your prescription to a pharmacy or chemist to receive the medication. You may need to pay for prescription medicines. 

Pharmacists can give free advice on treating minor health problems, such as colds and coughs. 

Find a local pharmacy on the NHS website

Health advice  

Get free health advice from the NHS by phoning 111 or visiting 111 online. There is an interpreter service available. 

Registering with a dentist 

You can register with a dentist. Find a dentist at 

If you are receiving Universal Credit, you should let the practice know and register as an NHS patient. Check-ups and necessary treatments will be free. 

Health information in other languages 

Please visit the NHS website for health information in other languages, including in Ukrainian. 

Doctors of the World has health information in Ukrainian, including a guide on how the NHS works. 

Psychology Tools has provided free resources about trauma and stress in Ukrainian, Polish and Russian. They may help people who have experienced the war in Ukraine. 


How to join a course

There are lots of different ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) courses in Greater Manchester. To join any of them you need to do an assessment with your local ESOL Advice Service.

Go to to give your details. We will then contact you to do an assessment and find you a class. 

Referring someone else to an ESOL course?

If you are a sponsor and want to refer someone else for an ESOL assessment, you can complete a form. We will contact the person you refer and also report back to you.

ESOL Advice Service website

Our website has lots of information for people arriving to live in Manchester and Greater Manchester, including information on health services, education, libraries, activities and other support available. 

Our website has a Google Translate facility to translate the information into different languages including Ukrainian and Russian. We also have links to online learning which you can do straight away. 

Your best contact for ESOL courses in any other areas of Greater Manchester is the local ESOL coordinator - contact details are available on ESOL website.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.