People and communities Windrush

Windrush support and compensation

If you arrived in Britain before 1989, there is support and compensation from the UK Government that could be available to you. 

The Windrush Scheme 

Allows you to apply for documentation confirming your residency status.

  • If you are eligible for British citizenship, you can apply for this free of charge.
  • You won't have to take a 'Life in the UK' test or English language qualification.
  • Commonwealth citizens who were settled in the UK by 1973 can make a free application to return to the UK permanently. 

Apply for the Windrush Scheme on to prove you have the right to live in the UK.

The Windrush Compensation Scheme 

This scheme aims to provide compensation for people who have suffered losses (or represent the estate of someone who has suffered losses) either: 

  • by being unable to show that they have a right to live in the UK (known as a 'primary claimant')
  • or being the partner, child, brother, sister or parent of a primary claimant (known as a 'secondary claimant')

To be eligible for the Windrush Compensation Scheme you must have documentation confirming your residency status. If you don't have this, you need to apply to the Windrush Documentation Scheme to get it. 

Find out more and apply for the Windrush Compensation Scheme on  

Support for your applications 

The Windrush Defenders Legal C.I.C. are a community organisation, based in Ardwick. They provide support and advocacy for anyone that wants to apply for either of these schemes. Each Thursday, their Windrush surgeries provide one-to-one support.

Find out more about the Windrush Defenders' surgeries on their website  

The Burning Work Protocol is a collaborative project between Windrush Defenders and community representatives, academics, and social practitioners. It aims to address racial disparities within immigration and criminal law enforcement.

Find out more about the Burning Work Protocol on the Windrush Defenders' website

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.