Training and support for governing bodies
Governing Bodies in Manchester are free to identify their own training and support requirements through a process of regular self-review and skills audit, allowing them to commission the support they require to meet their needs.
There is a password protected ‘schoolshub website’ area available to school governors in Manchester which contains a range of information and resources to assist them to undertake their role effectively including:
- The Manchester Governors’ Handbook – details local and national weblinks to a range of helpful information for governors
- The Accredited Provider List – details providers of governor support services and training which governing bodies may wish to commission
- The Manchester Schools’ Alliance Partnership Programme of Events for Governors – a range of event for Manchester governors including an annual conference
- Contact Details for National and Local Leaders of Governance – who can provide free peer to peer support
- Contact details of local governance professionals and National Leaders of Governance – who can be commissioned to undertake External Reviews of Governance
- Guidance for Parent and Staff Governor elections
- Termly School Governance Unit Newsletters
Please contact your clerk or head teacher for the password and user name.
Schools of a religious character can also source support from the appropriate diocesan authority. For Church of England schools this is the Diocese of Manchester. For Roman Catholic schools this is usually the Diocese of Salford, however some schools in Wythenshawe are part of the Diocese of Shrewsbury. More information can be found on the dioceses’ website.