Manchester City Council

Social services Adult Social Care complaints

If you are unhappy about one of our services we would like you to tell us about it. We welcome any feedback that helps us improve and maintain high standards, and all complaints will be dealt with fairly and sensitively. You can contact us by completing our online form or send your complaint to:

Customer Feedback
Corporate Complaints Team
PO Box 532
Town Hall
M60 2LA.

Telephone: 0161 234 3012

Adult Social Care Complaints Process - Informal Stage

If you have a complaint, you can tell someone you know from the service and they will try to resolve the problem promptly. If they cannot resolve the problem, they will offer to pass your details to the Corporate Complaints Team to be dealt with under the Social Care Complaints procedure.

If you don’t feel your complaint can be resolved locally, or if local resolution has failed, you can always contact the Corporate Complaints Team directly.

Adult Social Care Complaints Process - Stage 1

If your complaint relates to social care services you should expect to receive a response within 20 working days. If your complaint is complex or covers a number of areas, we may take longer to respond, however, we will tell you if we think this is likely to be the case.

When we receive your complaint we will allocate it to an Investigating Officer from the service to which your complaint relates. We will write to tell you we have received your complaint, outline the areas of your complaint we will investigate and when you can expect to receive a response.

The Investigating Officer will gather and review all of the evidence (what you have said, what staff and others said, what’s recorded in our systems, both electronic and paper, along with relevant legislation or guidance) to get the clearest picture possible of what has happened. 

Once the complaint has been looked into we will write to explain the outcome of the investigation and what we intend to do to resolve the problem.

If you are not satisfied with the response you can contact the Corporate Complaints Team who will look at the response and your comments and decide if the service needs to do more to put things right. If this is the case we will contact you to tell you what else we intend to do to resolve your complaint. If we believe the service has done all they reasonably can do we will write to advise you of this.

Adult Social Care – Independent Review

If you are not satisfied with the Council’s response to your complaint you have the right to contact the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO) to discuss your concerns. We will provide contact details for the LGO with the final response to your complaint.

Adults, Health and Wellbeing complaints – not social care

If your complaint does not relate to social care services provided by the Council, but is about other services we’ve provided, for example financial services, homelessness services, or other aspects of the support and advice we’ve given, we follow the Corporate Complaints Procedure.

You can read about this on the Council website page ‘How we deal with complaints’.

Annual Reports

You can read about how well we've performed in our Annual Reports

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?