People and communities Help for disabled people

Breakthrough UK

Breakthrough UK has a new text relay service for Greater Manchester which connects people to the local emergency arrangements.

People can text 07860 022 876 rather than phone or go online and will be directed to support in their own area.  (Messages will be responded to by the next working day)

Energy bills 

If you're struggling to pay your energy bills, contact your energy supplier about being added to the Priority Service Register: you'll get extra support and cannot be disconnected during winter (1 October - 31 March). 

Many gas and electric suppliers can support you if you cannot afford your gas and electric bill or owe them money, but the support varies and can change quickly. Check with your supplier about what they offer.   

Disability Energy Support 

The charity Scope offers free advice to disabled people, to help manage energy and water needs. The service is open to any disabled person or households where one or more disabled people live. Visit their website at 

Advice for people using oxygen concentrators at home 

If you use an oxygen concentrator at home, you can get a rebate for the electricity it uses. The company that supplies your concentrator can make payments to your bank account. 

  • Call the Electricity Rebates (BOC Home Oxygen Service) Patient Service Centre on freephone 0800 136 603
  • Call the Electricity Refund (Air Liquide Healthcare) rebate team on freephone 0800 781 9939

Personal Budgets 

You can call the Disability Rights UK free Personal Budgets Helpline on 0330 995 0404 for information about care and support services and how to access social care funding. It’s open from 9.30am to 1.30pm every Tuesday and Thursday.

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.