Benefits and support Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary payments can help if you are struggling to pay your rent.

You must live in Manchester to apply for them.

To get a discretionary payment towards your rent you must either:

  • be entitled to to some Housing Benefit from us; or
  • be getting Universal Credit that includes something towards your housing costs.

There is no right for anyone to a discretionary payment. We will look at your case to decide if you need extra support.

Apply for discretionary payments

See the Council's Discretionary Payments Policy

See details of the money we spend on discretionary payments


Discretionary Council Tax Payments

You may be able to get help if you are struggling to pay your Council Tax in certain circumstances and you are suffering exceptional hardship. You do not have to be entitled to Council Tax Support to qualify for this.

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.