Manchester City Council

Benefits & support How we decide if a severely disabled child is unable to share a room

We will use the criteria below to make decisions in social sector housing (council, housing association, housing trusts) and private sector housing cases.

We will take into account:

  • the nature and severity of the child's medical condition and disability
  • why this prevents them from sharing a bedroom
  • the type of care needed during the night and how often it is needed
  • how much and how often the sleep of the child they share with will be disturbed

The evidence we need:

  • Proof that the child gets the middle or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance; or
  • A letter from a health care professional who is involved with the child's care

Where the child's condition is not permanent we will review our decision periodically.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?