Births, marriages, deaths and nationality Correcting a registration


If you want to make a correction to a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership registration because of incorrect information, you need to make a formal application.

There is a statutory fee of between £75 and £90 for most corrections, depending on the nature of the amendment. Many corrections require the authorisation of the General Register Office (GRO). If this is the case, the corrections will need to be submitted to the GRO for approval before the amendment can be made.

This fee is for consideration of the correction and will not be refunded if the amendment is not approved. The fee does not include the cost for a certificate after the correction has been completed. 

What corrections can be made

Corrections to a registration can only be made when the information is wrong (e.g. a mistake was made when recording a parent's occupation or address when registering a birth).

You can't apply for a correction to show new information if circumstances change after you've registered a birth, death, marriage or civil partnership (e.g. you change your address after registering your child’s birth).

However, you can apply to re-register the birth if the natural parents get married at a later date.

If you decide to change a child’s forename within the first 12 months after registration you can often do so without making a correction. Find out more about changing the name of your child.

Who to apply to

You can apply for a correction to the register office where your child's birth was registered. If the birth, death marriage or civil partnership registration took place in Manchester, please email and let us know what you want to change. We will make an appointment for you at the Register Office to complete the application and discuss costs. If you cannot attend the Register Office in person we can usually arrange for the application to be made via post or email.

What the correction looks like

If your application is approved, a correction is made in the register in the office for the area where your child was born.

The original information will always be shown in the register. After the correction has been authorised, a note will be added to the margin of the register. This will explain what the correct information is and when the correction was made.

See the government's website for more information about corrections, including details of who can apply and how long the process takes.

What happens if you change gender

If your gender change is approved, you'll be able to buy a new birth certificate with your new gender on it. See the government's website for gender recognition certificates.

For further information on Gender Recognition please contact the General Register Office at or 0300 123 1837.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.