Planning and regeneration Dangerous and derelict buildings

The Building Control Team investigate and deal with dangerous buildings or structures as they occur.  

What we mean by dangerous building or structure 

Any building or part of a building that presents an immediate risk to public health and safety. We also mean garden walls, fences, hoardings or any built structure that could endanger the safety of the public. 

What we do

If immediate action is required, we only do what’s necessary to make it safe in the short term eg: fencing off a building or sealing it so people can’t get inside or near the building. A wall that has fallen over, for example, doesn’t pose any further danger. We don’t do repairs, or make good any part of a building that had to be taken down. 

We charge the costs for any work we need to do (to remove the risk or danger) to the property’s owner, so - if you’re concerned about a danger from your own building - it makes sense for you to deal with it yourself (for example via your insurance company). 

How to report rundown or damaged dilapidated properties that are not an immediate threat 

If you’re concerned about a building that’s a nuisance to your neighbourhood because of anti-social behaviour, vermin or fly-tipping, you should report it online.

How to report unsafe building practices

Contact the Health & Safety Executive

Report a dangerous building / structure that presents a serious and immediate threat 

Between 9am and 4pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays) call 0161 234 4490 or email 

Outside office hours, if there is an immediate danger of death or injury call 999. If not, call the Out of Hours Emergency line on 0161 223 7222 or alternatively call the Police on 101. 

(If the building does not pose an immediate danger to public safety, use the Dangerous Building Report form to report it.)

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.