We have discretion to award up to 100 percent relief from business rates to ratepayers who are experiencing hardship. We will only consider cases that are in the interest of the community because a significant sum comes from Council funds.
We consider each case on its own merits:
- Reduction of rates on the grounds of hardship is the exception rather than the rule.
- The test of 'hardship' is not limited to financial hardship - we take into account all factors affecting the business’s ability to pay their rates.
- In addition to the taxpayers direct financial interests, we also consider:
- potential job losses, and
- loss of amenities in the area.
If you need any support with your application you can contact us at www.manchester.gov.uk/brcontact or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We aim to reply within 14 days. Please give your full name, contact information, and business rates reference number; you can find this on your business rates bill.