This consultation closed on 13 September 2021
There are some things which everyone has a right to change about their property without having to apply for full planning permission. This right is known as “permitted development”. The City Council removed the permitted development rights from certain parts of the Manchester in 2018 through a process called Article 4 Direction and is now reviewing the areas covered by the Article 4 Directions.
An Article 4 Direction is a legal process which a council can use to remove particular types of permitted development. On 30 July 2021, Manchester City Council made four Article 4 Directions to continue with the removal of the right to this type of permitted development in certain areas of the City and identified additional areas where the Article 4 Directions will apply. The Directions would make it necessary to get planning permission from the Council to change buildings currently used for offices, research and development, or industrial processes into houses or flats in some parts of Manchester. For more information download and view our new proposed Directions.
Due to the nature of these Directions they are unlikely to be relevant to the average person unless you own an office, research and development premises or light industrial building and are thinking about converting the building into houses or flats.
We would like your views on four new Article 4 Directions. The areas covered by the Directions are:
1) The City Centre:
- Manchester City Centre
2) North Manchester:
- Central Park (North and South)
- Riverpark Trading Estate
- Tulketh Street Industrial Estate, Harpurhey
- Hexagon Tower, Crumpsall
- Ardwick, Bradford, Openshaw and Gorton North
3) South Manchester:
- Parkway, Whalley Range
- Chorlton District Centre
- Mauldeth House and 550 Mauldeth Road West, Chorlton Park
- Towers Business Park, Didsbury East
- Christie Fields and Siemens, Chorlton Park
- Hathersage Road and Richmond Grove (including Octagon House)
- Jobcentreplus, Palatine Road, Didsbury West
- Roundthorn and Oaks Business Parks
- Sharston Industrial Estate
- Wythenshawe Town Centre and Woodhouse Lane
- Airport City North
- Atlas and Concorde Business Parks and Styal Road
Have your say
The consultation will run from 2 August to 13 September 2021.
Following the consultation period the Council will consider the responses received and take these into account when making a decision on whether to confirm the Directions. If confirmed, the Directions will come into force on 1 August 2022.