Crime, antisocial behaviour and nuisance Domestic abuse

Legal action and how we can support you

If you need to get off this page quickly for any reason, click this button and the page will automatically switch you to the BBC website

You can look into taking legal action to stop domestic abuse or prevent it from happening again. This includes civil action, such as injunctions and orders to protect children and criminal action where the police become involved (including if you are being harassed or followed).

  • Civil law protects individuals against one another and is on the balance of probability 
  • Criminal Law protects the wider public and is based on burden of proof. 

The helplines will give you advice on this. 

You can also get a Civil order yourself: Legal support options | FLOWS can support you through the process, and Support Through Court can help you with special measures and civil orders.  

To find out more about these legal powers, and the support we can give you, email us at or call us on 0161 234 5393  (Monday to Friday 10am-12noon and 1-3pm) or get in touch with Manchester Women’s Aid. Email them at or call 0161 660 7999


Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.