Licences and permissions Gambling premise licences

Information about Gambling Premises

What activities and type of premises are covered by the Act?

The Act covers ALL premises that allow commercial gambling including bookmakers, horse tracks, dog tracks, casinos, amusement arcades and pubs and bars with gaming machines. The Act also allows holders of appropriate operating licences to make temporary use of other premises (e.g. hotels, conference centres) for gambling. The Act also covers remote gambling (that is gambling via the internet, interactive TV or a mobile phone).

What type of licence, permit or other authorisation do I need for my premises?

The type of licences, permits and other authorisations available to those wanting to offer gambling activities are outlined in our gambling policy.

What is the difference between licences and permits?

Applicants for premises licences must have been granted an operating licence by the Gambling Commission and their staff may need to apply for one or more personal licences. Applicants for permits do not need to apply for any other authorisation; however, permits are more restrictive in terms of what they allow.

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.