Manchester City Council

Planning & regeneration Planning permission

Doing work without getting planning permission

You need planning permission to do certain improvements and building work. You must find out if you need permission before you start.

If you do anything that needs permission, without getting that permission, we can give you an ‘enforcement notice’. This is an instruction to put the alteration back to how it was originally – a potentially very expensive outcome.

We can also give you an enforcement notice if we give you permission to do something in a certain way, but you do it differently.

Whether we take this action depends on whether we think the work you have done is unacceptable, harmful or not in the public interest.

Find out more about enforcements, and how to appeal on the the government’s Planning website:

Planning Portal: (Government website): Enforcements and appeals

See enforcement action we have taken

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?