Planning and regeneration Apply to be added to the self-build or custom house building register

If you plan to build your own home in Manchester, apply here to be added to our self-build and custom house building register.

This is a register of people or groups (associations) who want serviced plots of land in Manchester for self-build and custom house building projects.

The register lets us know the level of demand for these plots and we'll try to find sites for this kind of development. We can’t guarantee we’ll find a plot that meets your needs though.

To go on the register you must be 18 or over, and:

  • a UK citizen; or
  • a citizen of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA); or
  • a Swiss citizen.

You can check which countries are in the EEA at

Associations of people can go on the register, but everyone in the association must meet these rules.

If you are one of several adults planning to build a shared home then you can pick one person to apply as an individual or apply together as an association.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?