Social services Independent visitors

Some young people in care don’t see their families regularly. If you’d like to see someone outside your foster or children's home for contact, you can ask an ‘independent visitor’ to come and see you.

They’re adults who are trained to make friends with young people in care and take an interest in them. They don’t work with your social worker or any of the other people in your life – they’re there just for you.

They’ll visit you and are there for you to talk to. You can go and do things with them, such as play sports or go to the cinema, or try something new. They’ll listen to you and they might have good advice for you. They can also speak up for you at your Review.

If you’d like an Independent Visitor, you or your carer can ask your social worker to make a referral to Coram Voice. Or you can email Coram Voice at or call 020 7833 5792 and ask to speak to the Independent Visitor Coordinator in Manchester.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.