Benefits and support What do we mean by a 'partner'?

  • Someone you're married to or live with as if you are married, including someone of the same sex; or
  • A civil partner or someone you live with as if you are civil partners.

If we refer to 'your husband, wife or civil partner' instead of 'your partner’, we mean where there is a formal arrangement whether marriage or civil partnership.

How having a partner affects your benefit

You must claim as a couple. You can choose which one of you claims. We count both partners’ income and savings when we work out the benefit.

Go back to 'How your circumstances affect Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support'

To claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support or find out what you are entitled to use our online form.

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.