Benefits and support If you disagree with our decision on Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support (and Council Tax Benefit)

Which decisions can you challenge?

Help with rent

We, the Benefits Service, make decisions about Housing Benefit (help with rent). The rules are set by the government.

It is not our decision when your rent costs are met through Universal Credit. You need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions, who pay Universal Credit, if you are unhappy about that decision. Your Universal Credit decision letter tells you how to do this, or you can look on their website.

Help with Council Tax

We make decisions about Council Tax Support (help with council tax). Council Tax Support is a scheme run by the Council, not the government.

We may still make decisions about Council Tax Benefit - the government scheme for help with Council Tax that was abolished in April 2013. These will get fewer with time.

Our decisions include things like:

  • whether you can get benefit or support
  • how much you get
  • how we pay it
  • what happens if we pay too much

We tell you our decision in a letter.

You have a legal right to challenge most of our decisions, although there are some decisions you can't challenge at a tribunal.

How to challenge our decision.


Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.