Benefits and support Second Adult Rebate for pension-age people

Second Adult Rebate is help with Council Tax when another adult living with you prevents you getting a discount or exemption from Council Tax

Only pension-age people can get Second Adult Rebate as long as:

  • their income or savings are too high for Council Tax Support; and
  • other adults, on a low income, live there who aren't responsible for paying the council tax bill, and who are either
    - a partner
    - a joint-tenant or joint-owner, or
    - someone who pays rent or for board and lodgings.
      We call these people 'second adults'. Pension-age people may qualify for Second Adult Rebate to help  with Council Tax based on the second adult's income.

There are two kinds of Second Adult Rebate

  • Ordinary Second Adult Rebate. You can get up to 25% off your council tax bill. This makes up for your 'second adults' preventing you getting a single person discount of 25%.
  • Student Second Adult Rebate. For pension-age students only, with 'second adults' on certain kinds of income. All the 'second adults' in the household must each be getting one of these benefits:
    - income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    - income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    - Pension Credit
    - Income Support. 
    If they are, you can get 100% off your Council Tax bill. This makes up for your 'second adults' preventing you getting a student exemption.

The quickest and easiest way to find out if you can get Second Adult Rebate is to use our online claim calculator .  

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.