Births, marriages, deaths and nationality Verification of life service

A proof of life document is used to check that a person is alive and continues to qualify for benefits. It's also called a life certificate.

It is used by:

  • governments
  • pension funds
  • insurance companies

If you:

  • have lived and worked in another country and 
  • are claiming a pension from overseas, 

you may need to prove you're still alive and confirm details of your current home. This is so you can continue to receive your pension payments.

You might be asked to complete a 'Certificate of Life' form by your pension provider. If that happens, we can check your identity and residency documents.

You don’t need to make an appointment.  

You can come in to the office anytime between 9am and 12noon Monday – Friday.  The fee for this service is £15.00.

The preferred payment method is by card. If you can only use cash, please ensure you have the right amount.

Each person named on the ‘Proof of life’ form will need to attend the Register Office. Please note you do not need to live in Manchester to use this service. They need to bring:

  • ‘Proof of life’ form that they need us to authorise
  • supporting documents as evidence


The form will tell you what documents you will need to provide. For proof of identity, we will usually need to see one of the following:

  • valid passport
  • driving licence

For proof of your address:

  • utility bill dated no more than three months before attending our office.
  • bank or building society statement or passbook dated. It must be dated no more than one month before attending our office.
  • Council Tax bill dated no more than one year before attending our office

If you have any questions:

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.