The Council and democracy Standing as a candidate

Most candidates stand as a member of a political party. You can also stand for election as an independent candidate.


To stand for election as a councillor for Manchester City Council, you must:

  • Be 18 years old or over on the day of your nomination
  • Be a British citizen, an EU citizen, or a Commonwealth citizen
  • Be registered to vote in and/or have either lived or worked in the Manchester City Council area for at least one year

More information about the qualification and disqualification requirements is available online. See the Electoral Commission’s guidance.

Standing as a member of a political party

If you want to stand as a candidate for a political party, contact that party to discuss their requirements for standing.

Standing as an independent candidate

If you have questions about standing as an independent candidate, the Local Government Association Independent Group may be able to help.

Expressing an interest in standing

To stand for election in Manchester you must first register your interest. Send this by email to or by calling 0161 234 3796.  

Nomination process

You must submit a set of valid nomination papers to stand for election. You will need two people; one to propose you (a nomination) and the other to second the nomination. They will have to agree that you will be a suitable candidate and sign a document to confirm this. All these people need to be on the electoral register in the relevant ward.

If you want to stand as a candidate for a political party you must submit a certificate of authorisation. This will allow you to use the party's name or a registered description on ballot papers. You will also need to submit an emblem request if you wish for the party emblem to appear on ballot papers.

There is online guidance for candidates and agents available from the Electoral Commission. This is relevant for both political party and independent candidates.

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.