Council tax Apply for money off council tax for disabled people

If you, or someone who lives with you, is 'substantially and permanently' disabled we may be able to reduce your bill by putting your home in a lower council tax band.

If your property is in the lowest band already we may still be able to reduce your bill.

We can do this if your home has been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled person. This could include:

  • a physical disability
  • learning difficulties
  • mental health issues.

Your home must also have at least one of these to qualify:

  • a room which is mainly used by you as a disabled person and is essential, or of major importance, to your welfare; or
  • an extra bathroom or extra kitchen which is necessary to meet your needs as a disabled person; or
  • enough floor space to use a wheelchair. You must need to use the wheelchair indoors.

You do not have to get a disability benefit to get this reduction, but we ask about them to help us decide.

The person responsible for paying the bill usually applies for the reduction even if they are not the disabled person. For example, the disabled person may be a child.

How to apply

You must include a letter from your doctor, occupational therapist or social worker to confirm that you need these special features because you are a disabled person. We may visit your home to check.

See what to do after you apply.

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.