These people also don't have to pay council tax
- A property where all the people who live there are under the age of 18 until someone who is 18, or older, lives there.
- Armed forces accommodation whether occupied or unoccupied.
- Visiting armed forces accommodation as long as at least one resident who would be liable for Council Tax is a member (or dependent) of a visiting force and is neither a British citizen or ordinary resident in the UK.
- A property where at least one liable person has diplomatic privileges or immunity as long as they are not a permanent UK resident, British citizen, British subject or British protected person and the UK is not their main residence or another dwelling in the UK is not their main residence.
- A property that is part of another property (an annexe or 'granny flat') and a dependant relative lives there who is 65 or over, severely mentally impaired or substantially and permanently disabled. We will give the exemption for as long as the dependant relative lives there.
To apply for an exemption under these rules print off and fill in an Occupied Property Exemption application form
Then return the form to us:
- Email - scan it and send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post it to the Council Tax Service, PO Box 3, Manchester, M15 5BA
- Fax it on 0161 953 8226
While you are waiting for our decision you must continue to pay the instalments shown on your Council Tax bill.