Council tax Other exemptions from council tax

These people also don't have to pay council tax:

  • A property where all the people who live there are under the age of 18 until someone who is 18, or older, lives there. Contact us using the general contact form
  • Armed forces accommodation whether occupied or unoccupied.
  • Visiting armed forces accommodation as long as at least one resident who would be liable for Council Tax is a member (or dependent) of a visiting force and is neither a British citizen or ordinary resident in the UK.
  • A property where at least one liable person has diplomatic privileges or immunity as long as they are not a permanent UK resident, British citizen, British subject or British protected person and the UK is not their main residence or another dwelling in the UK is not their main residence.
  • A property that is part of another property (an annexe or 'granny flat') and a dependant relative lives there who is 65 or over, severely mentally impaired or substantially and permanently disabled. We will give the exemption for as long as the dependant relative lives there.

While you are waiting for our decision you must continue to pay the instalments shown on your Council Tax bill.

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.