Manchester City Council

Council tax Money off your council tax if you are the only person in your home who has to pay

People who aren't counted for council tax

If you live with someone who isn't counted, it may mean that you can get a Single Person Discount on your bill.

These people aren't counted for council tax:

  • Non-British partners or other dependants of foreign students who are not allowed to work or claim benefits.
  • Those under 20 who are still at school or have just left school.
  • Someone for whom Child Benefit is still being paid.
  • Foreign language assistants.
  • Long-stay hospital patients are not counted for council tax where they normally live.
  • Members of international headquarters and defence organisations and their dependants.
  • Members of visiting forces and their dependants.
  • People with diplomatic immunity and privileges.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?