Homes and property Dampness and leaks


If the leak is on your mains water supply at your water meter or between your house and the boundary of your property (your service pipe), you or your landlord are usually responsible for repairing it.

What can you do

Burst water pipe? Act fast, visit United Utilities burst pipes pages.

If the leak is a water burst outside the property boundary you should check the United Utilities website to see who's responsible and what to do.

You can help identify the cause of the leak by noting whether it is worse when it rains, or when you take a shower.

If you are:

  • an owner-occupier it is your responsibility to fix the problem and you should contact a reputable plumber
  • a tenant your landlord is responsible for fixing the problem, contact your landlord to agree when the work can be carried out.
Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.