Homes and property Overcrowding at home

You may feel your home is too small for the number of people living there; but it may not legally be classed as overcrowding.

There are rules describing the maximum number of people who should live in a property.

If you are living in overcrowded conditions you should: 

  • find a larger private rented place. See Shelters advice on overcrowding or
  • apply for a council or housing association. If you are legally overcrowded, you will get a higher priority. But the demand for this type of housing is high, so how quickly you would get a place depends on a number things. Read our rehousing policy.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.