Manchester City Council

Homes & property Fire precautions

A fire in the home can be devastating or even fatal.  If there is a fire, don't tackle it yourself - get out, stay out and call 999.

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service have lots of information on fire safety at home and how to keep safe.

If you are a tenant your landlord should have obtained official certificates for fire, electric and gas. They should show you or give you copies of these with your tenancy agreement.
It is the responsibility of the landlord to carry out a fire risk assessment and provide appropriate fire precautions, as necessary.  Depending on the type of property you rent this could be:  

  • smoke alarms
  • fire doors
  • exit doors
  • escape windows, and/or
  • emergency escape lighting.

Refer to the Local Authorities Coordinators of Regulatory Services (LACORS) fire safety guidance for further information.

If you are concerned that the fire precautions in your property are defective or inadequate your should, contact your landlord in the first instance and give them the opportunity to undertake any necessary work. If you 're having problems dealing with your landlord then follow these steps. 

Together with Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service we have signed up to the fire safety protocol.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?