Homes and property Doors and windows

Your landlord is responsible for making sure external doors and windows are solid, in good repair and fitted with suitable draught-proofing and locks. 

If wooden frames are so severely rotted that they are beyond reasonable repair your landlord should replace them. Building regulations require all replacement windows to be double-glazed but the frames can be wooden or PVC. Double-glazed units are filled with a heavy gas and sealed so normal air can't get in. However, seals can break and moisture in the air can cause condensation or misting. This is not a major cause for concern and would not usually require the window to be replaced.  

If one or more windows or doors have been damaged by someone breaking in or trying to break into your property then your landlord should arrange for at least a temporary repair straightaway.

What you can do:

  • If you are an owner-occupier it is your responsibility to fix the problem and you should contact a registered contractor. 
  • If you are a tenant your landlord is responsible for fixing the problem, contact your landlord first to inform them and agree when the work can be carried out, give them the opportunity to resolve the problem before contacting us. If you're having problems dealing with your landlord follow these steps.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.