Roads and transport Public rights of way

Public rights of way are open to everyone and you have the right to walk along them. They can be roads, paths or tracks, and can run through towns, countryside or private property i.e. 

  • public footpaths for pedestrians only;
  • public bridleways for pedestrians, horse riders and cyclists; or
  • public byways for pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists and motorised vehicles.

We can offer advice and where appropriate take action over a blocked or disputed public right of way.

You can also see the definitive map modification order register.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?