Sign our book of condolence

Our hearts go out to those who have lost their lives or have been affected by the terrible attack on London Bridge.

Sign our book of condolence.


Homes and property Council and housing association homes

Renting from a council or housing association is also called 'social housing', 'public housing', or 'not-for-profit housing'.

Rents in not-for-profit housing tend to be lower than in private renting, although the gap is closing. Tenants usually have more security, with long-term tenancy agreements, rights of succession (to pass on the home to family members when they die), and legal protection.

Big demand

But there's a big demand for this type of housing which means it can take a long time. Generally, the more urgent your need-to-move, the better your chance of a home. Some rehousing rules also give more priority to those who make a contribution to the community.

Some housing is reserved for people over a certain age, to reduce the problems caused by conflicting lifestyles. In some areas you can get a home quickly if you are an older person, but may have to wait much longer if you are young.

Read more about how to look for a home. You should also look at other types of housing to help you find a home faster.

Read more about council housing

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?